Donald Trump appeals ruling that disallows him to block critics on Twitter

Donald Trump appeals ruling that disallows him to block critics on Twitter

The President of the United States Donald Trump has asked an appeals court to restore his right to block Twitter critics.

Last month, a federal judge ruled that the blocking of users from President Trump’s Twitter account ‘@realDonaldTrump’ was in violation of the First Amendment. Lawyers representing both Mr Trump and the social media director at the White House, Dan Scavino, have filed an appeal.

The paperwork filed is said to have not listed the grounds for the appeal and the Government lawyers representing President Trump and Scavino have failed to respond to messages for comment.

The lawyer, Jameel Jaffer, representing seven Twitter users who had filed a lawsuit against Trump for blocking them, said that Donald Trump’s account had unblocked the users on Monday and that this “pleased” his clients. However, he continued to say that they were “disappointed” that there has been an appeal against the “district court’s thoughtful and well-supported ruling”.

The judge at the initial ruling, Naomi Reice Buchwald, outlined in her ruling on May 23 that it was the people’s right to respond to politicians who use their social media accounts as a public forum. However, it should be noted that the Judge’s ruling didn’t go as far as to say that President Trump should unblock users.

It is expected that, should the decision be upheld, it could mark a significant turning point for those communicating with government officials online following a series of similar events involving other officials.

Many of those who have been blocked by Donald Trump have taken to Twitter to express their feelings with writer Stephen King Tweeting,

“…I am hereby blocking him (Trump) from seeing IT or MR MERCEDES.”

Trump has used his Twitter account as a sort of megaphone to voice everything that appears to come into his head. He built his campaign on ‘trendy’ hashtags and has since boasted about accomplishments, responding to opponents and claiming media coverage as ‘fake news’.

Rebecca Buckwalter-Poza, judicial affairs editor at Daily Kos, was one of those blocked by Trump however she is confident that regardless of Trump filing, they will win again on appeal saying, “We’re still right and they’re still wrong.”

Megan DeGrom

Megan DeGrom was born and raised in New Jersey just outside the Pine Barrons. As a journalist, Megan has contributed to many online publications including Rotten Tomatoes and Variety. In regards to academics, Megan earned a degree in business from St. John’s University. Megan covers economy stories here at Clear Publicist.

Recommended For You

Megan DeGrom

About the Author: Megan DeGrom

Megan DeGrom was born and raised in New Jersey just outside the Pine Barrons. As a journalist, Megan has contributed to many online publications including Rotten Tomatoes and Variety. In regards to academics, Megan earned a degree in business from St. John's University. Megan covers economy stories here at Clear Publicist.